Search This Blog

Sunday 28 December 2014

Food and Science

Bad coffee

I like science and measurement  -- a theme that underpins this blog. Let's take a major source of pleasure for all of us (food!) and think about it in the scientific context.

Remember when fat was vilified? Now it's wheat. What's next, water?  -- oops, sorry, that's been done; most people I work with drink bottled water. At home, I guzzle from the tap, but drink bottled water in foreign lands based on analysis from biologists and recommendations from public and population health professionals.

Less than ~1% have gluten allergy. Now, scores say they are gluten sensitive and a myriad of so-called experts and opinions run amuck. We've got 3 friends with biopsy-proven celiac disease and I know how to cook to keep them happy and healthy.

I think most of my other gluten sensitive friends and colleagues are caught up in the latest food fad. But they all retort -- it says so on the web and TV; so it must be true! Why can't people just avoid the foods they don't tolerate and get on with life -- I see no need to buy the related magazines/cookbooks, watch quacks on TV, tell everyone they've discovered a life changing truth and turn it into a theology. Back to science:

Time for a primer on the best available food evidence set to parody of a nice pop song:




Video link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfH6qSSTa90&feature=em-subs

I changed the blog background format for better reading and to eliminate the dark feel.
Happy New Year from the cats and us!

1 comment:

  1. Yes ....much easier on the eyes...Vasily must have been complaining!
    All the best in 2015...good health & prolific experimentation. I wish you lived closer :-)

    Steve / VE7SL

    ReplyDelete